[postgis-devel] GeometryFromWKB

Martin Schäfer Martin.Schaefer at cadcorp.com
Thu Oct 23 01:04:49 PDT 2003

Hi,

The PostGIS online documentation mentions a function 'GeometryFromWKB' under 'Other functions'.
However, when I try to use it, e.g. like this:

select AsText(GeometryFromWKB('010100000000000000000024400000000000003440'::wkb, 4326));

I well get the error message:

ERROR:  Function geometryfromwkb(wkb, integer) does not exist
        Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
        You may need to add explicit typecasts

Is this function not yet implemented? If not, then when is it going to be implemented? I believe that GeometryFromWKB() would be a lot faster than GeometryFromText() when a large number of geometries (e.g. > 100,000) are inserted into a table. Is there any chance that it will be implemented soon?

The PostGIS version I'm using is 0.7, PostGreSQL is 7.3.4.

Best regards,

Martin Schäfer

Senior Software Engineer

Cadcorp