[postgis-devel] LWGEOM -- inital version ready for testing

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Apr 29 11:52:12 PDT 2004

There's an inital version of LWGEOM available for testing.  The indexes
it makes are about 40% smaller, and there's a very significant reduction
of the actual geometry size.  It natively supports 2D, 3D, and 4D
geometries.

Its been tested on a Linux (Intel) machine and a Solaris (Sparc)
machine.  Norman says it compiles on Windows (cygwin), so it should also
work there.

If you checkout a CVS copy of PostGIS, you'll see a "lwgeom/" directory.

There's a README file here with lots of details on how to use it.

In summary, to test out the LWGEOM on your system:

      cd lwgeom
      make
      cd regress
      ./run_regress
      ./run_regress2
      ./run_regress3

Please let me know if you're tried it out and if you had any problems.

dave
ps. I've attached the README file - it contains more detail of how to
use the LWGEOM type.

pps. Thanks to Ralph Mason who did lots of work doing a lex/yacc WKT/WKB
parser and writers.