[postgis-devel] RE: [HACKERS] join selectivity

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 09:45:08 PST 2004

Hi Tom,

OK I think I've misunderstood something more fundamental than that; I
understood from what you said that the RESTRICT clause is used to evaluate
the cost of table1.geom && table2.geom against table2.geom && table1.geom
(i.e. it is used to help decide which one should be seq scanned and which
should be index scanned in a nested loop node). So is the trick here for a
commutative operator to simply return the same value for both cases, as
other factors such as index size costs are considered elsewhere?

My final question would be how would can we detect the difference between
constant?

Many thanks,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd