[postgis-devel] automatic BVOL on spatial columns

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Dec 29 01:25:40 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 07:50:39PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I am loath to load more functionality in AddGeometryColumn, because I
> really really want to make it go away in the long term. I think it's a
> bit of nastiness.
>
> How about a somewhat larger hammer? How about having bboxes for
> anything that is not a point and that has more than 4 vertices? or 8?
> something like that? Just a single rule, some compile-time defines for
> the bold, and leave it there?

The problem is that geometry construction happen in different ways,
so the business logic in adding a BBOX cache should be applied
in many different places (parser(s), serializer(s), functions
autonomously constructing returns, GEOS converter).

Also, this logic should be left to the user, so she can decide when to
cache and when not to. She might want fast load and successive
bbox caching, she might want to cache bbox only on indexed tables,
or only for geoms with npoints > X in a table and > Y in another.

I just don't see an easy way though :(

--strk;