[postgis-devel] automatic BVOL on spatial columns

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Dec 30 05:02:02 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:00:04PM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> If your only/main worry is that we are taking away configurability from
> the user, then you should cease worrying. Too much configurability can
> be a *bad* thing, in the hands of people who do not want to have it. It
> forces them to make a bunch of decisions about things that they really
> do not want to know about, right away when they are still trying to
> learn basic things about the software.
>
> What we want is a default configuration that "works pretty good", and
> without *any* special knowledge or configuration on the part of the user
> about abstract things like bbox caching strategies and their consequences.
>
> If we make configurable caching a compile-time option or "special fiddly
> runtime" option, we can document how to use it, and the 1% of users who
> want to wring every last drop of performance out of their installations
> can read it and figure how to use it.
>
> The rest will not know, will not care, and will live longer happier lives.
>
> Paul

Ok. Point taken.

I'll go through the process of enforcing bbox caching based
on some heuristic. What I can think of is a function taking
care of applying the hauristic to PG_LWGEOM and LWGEOM objects.
Here is a question: should a geometry for which cache conditions
are not met loose an eventually already present bbox ?

--strk;