[postgis-devel] Re: geometry stats

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Feb 26 10:15:58 PST 2004

I dont think there's ever been a report of '&&' (overlap) being broken.

I dont think the original postgresql rtree implementations
(rtree_box_overlap()) are incorrect (the postgis ones are based on them
and I checked them for mistakes).
Its more likely in the rtree_internal_consistent() function.  We should
test oleg and teodora's polygon gist rtree implementation to see if it
correctly handles index searches like "@@" (etc).  Then we can have them
check it out and patch our implementation since its pretty much
*exactly* like theirs.

I'd like to see this fixed, but its a very rarely used feature to put
too much work into fixing where they can do equivelent queries like:

SELECT * FROM <table> WHERE the_geom && <box> AND
geometry_contains(<box>, the_geom) AND contains(<box>, the_geom);

dave