[postgis-devel] Re: Rounding off coordinates (from Postgis-users)

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Fri Jul 2 01:34:24 PDT 2004

Hi, Strk,

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 17:41:22 +0200
strk <strk at keybit.net> wrote:

> What I implemented did not remove points with 'too-near' checks.
> I tough you were doing something similar. RoundingOff primary
> purpose should be Rounding, not points reduction.
> What I did is removing points which made really no-sense keeping,
> which is consecutive points having the same coordinates and
> multiple back-and-forth between two points.

Okay, this makes sense, you're right - this should not create self
intersections. I was biased by the simplify() function which can create
invalid, self-intersecting geometries (or at least did when I tested
last.)

Thanks,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich