[postgis-devel] postgis.sql

strk strk at keybit.net
Tue Jun 8 10:56:18 PDT 2004

I've finished shrinking code in postgis.sql.in
I now propose to split it again but based on
code type.

We could divide sql code in:
	types
	operators
	functions
	... ? ...

A wrapper script could include all snippets using
preprocessor #include, while it would still be
possible producing a file - for example - containing
only plpgsql or sql functions, for partial upgrades.

I'm proposing this a tip for upgrades to avoid
pg_dump / database refresh / pg_restore, as most
changes between postgis version are functions
modifications or additions.

With the new CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION already present
sourcing postgis.sql on an already postgis-enabled database
does not currently work because types can not be replaced
witout loosing data, while sourcing a functions-only file
might work...

Comments ?