[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] prj and SRID relation

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Oct 14 01:42:20 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 11:30:11AM +0800, Christopher Pedrezuela wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> Just would like to ask if postgis supports ESRI's prj files. I noticed when
> I exported a shp file into a postgis table, using ESRI's DI Extension, its
> datum in the spatial reference table is "unnamed". As a result, when
> importing from a postgis table back to a shape file, arcmap does not also
> recognize the datum that the feature originally had. Is there a way to
> correct this.

Interesting issue. I didn't know about .prj files, never met one.

For dumping we might create one, for loading it would be a little more
tricky as the loader will have to find the corresponding SRID.

For your case (using ESRI extensions) it might be enough to change the
SRID of you geometry table. In order to do so drop the
enforce_srid_<geomfield> constraint, update table using setsrid on geometry
field, re-create the enforce_srid_<geomfield> constraint.

Please let me know.

--strk;