[postgis-devel] WKB type

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Sep 13 07:32:17 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:06:21PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

[..]

> As long as I can return query results in WKB format using AsBinary(....,
> 'NDR') and insert a geometry using GeomFromWKB('....') then I can live
> without a specific WKB type :)

Ok. The new LWGEOM functions allow for both
	RET = SELECT AsBinary(geometry) ==> INSERT ... (GeomFromWKB(RET))
AND
	RET SELECT geometry ==> INSERT (RET)

Format of [RET] would be WKB in both cases, so no clients would be
able to download the internal binary format of geometry type.

All clients currently working with native Geometry structure
should switch to a WKB transport / WKB<->geometry conversion.

Stored procedures working on geometry type should be able to
avoid the WKB marshalling.

Does it sound correct ?