[postgis-users] RE: [postgis-devel] GML output

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu Sep 23 07:08:20 PDT 2004

> I am tempted to do the minimum, asgml() is a convencience
> method, so the
>   end developer does not have to parse postgis outputs and then turn
> around and write gml. Presumably our gml will always be
> wrapped inside
> someone else's feature collection. (Unless we go whole hogg,
> and write a
> function that takes a tuple collection and turns it into a valid gml
> feature collection...) Why shouldn't we expect the user to
> wrap our gml
> objects in valid xmlns and srid information?

Because if you give some users the rope, they will hang themselves.
More pertinently, if they get it wrong, they will try and hang me when
our GML parser rejects their life's work.

The "whole hog" would be to take a table/view/query/whatever, generate a
GML application schema for it, add a FeatureCollection wrapper, then a
FeatureMember for every row in the result.  But that is really
pgsql2gml, not AsGML(), which might be more useful for more people.  GML
snippets seem harder to use in isolation than SVG snippets.

Regards,
Martin