[postgis-devel] Development Plan

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Sep 29 00:06:52 PDT 2004

In order to satisfy requests about maintaining complex geometry
structure (collections of collections...) LWGEOM needs better
data structures.

Currently only POINT, LINE and POLYGON are fully deserialized
using LWPOINT, LWLINE and LWPOLYGON.
Multi-types and collections has an LWGEOM_INSPECTED structure
useful for scanning but not for construction (ie. subgeoms are
not deserialized so you have to recurse to deserialize them).

I've provided an LWGEOM_EXPLODED which fully scans a geometry
dividing it's components in POINT, LINE and POLYGONs, but with
the side-effect of discarding their order and nesting.

My plan is to add LWMPOINT, LWMLINE, LWMPOLY, LWCOLLECTION and
an abstract LWGEOM type. All fully deserialized, editable and
serializable (current LWGEOM has been renamed to PG_LWGEOM).

Comments welcome.