[postgis-devel] autoconf paths

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Apr 19 03:46:46 PDT 2005

In HEAD branch you can find another proposal on configuration.
The bad thing is you can't fully override --datadir, --bindir etc..
due to unavailability of an answer to the question: did user
specify this ? (it only works with --prefix).

Based on presence of --prefix we select pgsql-tight and custom
layout:

If you DONT specify --prefix installation layout will
be like the one used in 1.0.0 and no paths override is possible.

# ./configure
   PREFIX: /extra/pgroot-8.0.0
  EPREFIX: ${prefix}
      DOC: ${prefix}/doc/postgresql/contrib
     DATA: ${prefix}/share/postgresql/contrib
      MAN: ${prefix}/man
      BIN: ${exec_prefix}/bin
      EXT: /home/extra/pgroot-8.0.0/lib/postgresql

If you DO specify --prefix installation will be fully layed out
under that dir, with 'postgis' suffix added to docdir and datadir:

# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/postgis
   PREFIX: /tmp/postgis
  EPREFIX: ${prefix}
      DOC: ${prefix}/doc/postgis
     DATA: ${prefix}/share/postgis
      MAN: ${prefix}/man
      BIN: ${exec_prefix}/bin
      EXT: ${exec_prefix}/libexec

You DO can change docdir, datadir, mandir, bindir and libexecdir
(postgis extension lib dir) but you can't remove the 'postgis' prefix
from docdir and datadir:

# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/postgis \
	--datadir=/tmp/postgis_data \
	--with-docdir=/var/www \