[postgis-devel] postgis_version() alias of postgis_full_version()?

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Dec 15 08:08:33 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 03:48:38PM -0000, Martin Schäfer wrote:
> Strk,
>
> Your proposed change to postgis_version() wouldn't affect our software. However, your proposed postgis_version() would then be equivalent to postgis_lib_version(). I hope you're not planning any changes to postgis_lib_version(), as our software IS relying on this function. We are not using postgis_full_version() at all.

Err.. actually in my mind they would be different:
	Release vs. Library version.

Currently they are the same, but might change in the future.
For example, a release with procedural function fixes only
would not require a library version upgrade.

Theoretically speaking even library from the same version
could be different due to compile-time options (GEOS/PROJ/STATS)
but I guess we can keep that info in postgis_full_version()
for the sake of backward compatibility.