[postgis-devel] Versioning and Branching Rationale

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Dec 21 03:08:22 PST 2005

Hi, Alex,

alex bodnaru wrote:

> would it be so important to provide postgis-1.1 along with 1.0? i know,
> for experimenting it will be very useful, but debian is mainly a stable
> environment.

Well, we have some produciton machines running different PostGIS
versions, and we will (if ever) only apply micro updates (e. G. 1.0.4 to
1.0.6) to them as long as we don't do a major system upgrade in parallel.

Forcing us to upgrade those machines to 1.1 is regarded as destabilizing
- we'll just keep using self-compiled PostGIS packages instead of the
debian ones.

The same applies for package installations that will implicitly try to
upgrade our running databases.

And on our developer and test machines, we have to use all productively
deployed versions in parallel, for obvious reasons.

We don't want to urge you to maintain 1.0 packages, but if you adopt a
clean naming and directory layout schema, it will allow us to keep older
packages installed in parallel to the new, supported packages on each
update.

Markus