[postgis-devel] release status

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon Feb 14 01:43:46 PST 2005

It's almost one month since RC2 is out, and we have
a bounce of changes logged:

        - transform(): missing SRID bugfix, better error handling
        - jdbc2: small patches, box2d/3d tests, revised docs and license.
        - jdbc2: bug fix and testcase in for pgjdbc 8.0 type autoregistration
        - few changes in autoconf
        - reduced precision of box2d output.
        - some functions made IMMUTABLE from STABLE,
          for performance improvement
        - new performance tips chapter in manual
        - BUILDDATE extraction made more portable
        - fixed bogus 72 index bindings
        - prefixed DEBUG macros with PGIS_ to avoid clash with pgsql one
        - fixes in probe_geometry_columns() to work with PG72 and support
          multiple geometry columns in a single table
        - fixed spatial_ref_sys.sql to avoid vacuuming the whole database.
        - jdbc2: Removed use of jdk1.4 only features to enable build with
          older jdk releases.
        - jdbc2: Added support for building against pg72jdbc2.jar
        - documentation updates: pgsql72 requirement, lwpostgis.sql
        - memory alignment handling

The "segfaulting points" issue seems to be fixed (memory alignment
handling), but the following issues are still open:

	- mapserver connector weidness
	- spatial_ref_sys entries (compatibility ?)

I think the special handling of the SRID=-1 should wait until 1.1.0,
as getting 1.0.0 out is already taking too much time, so I removed
it from the list of "open issues" (it's a feature request).

If anyone has reports about mapserver connectivity or hints about
new proj4 entries please send them out. I'd tag and boundle RC3
this week.

--strk;