[postgis-devel] bool::text

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Feb 24 04:07:28 PST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:00:43PM +0100, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, strk,
>
> strk at refractions.net schrieb:
> > I've added bool::text cast to easy usage of binary cursors casting
> > to text all but geometry columns.
> >
> > Actually I think a bool column could as well be fetched in binary
> > form as for whatever BYTE_ORDER you'd still have 0 or !0 value...
>
> Sorry, I do not understand how a cast between boolean and text interacts
> with fetching geometries via binary cursors. Could you explain this a
> little?

Mapserver uses a single query to fetch both geometry and attributes.

In a binary cursor geometry is returned with a tagged BYTE_ORDER, but
other types usually don't have this information, and also mapserver
really doesn't care about more then attributes textual representation.

Then all but geometry fields are casted to text, which representation
doesn't suffer from bite ordering differences and doesn't require
any special parsing (just normal text).

When you have a bool field bool::text didn't work as postgresql doesn't
provide that cast (altought provides text::bool).

--strk;