[postgis-devel] JDBC updates

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Tue Jan 18 06:54:15 PST 2005

Hi, strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:
[...]
>>Do we want to force the users to use pgjdbc-8.0 or not?
>
> I don't think so, we support up to postgresql 7.2 !

This is possible, as you can AFAIK still use the pgjdbc-8.0 against a
7.2 server.

> Isn't a preprocessor available ? Or can we use CPP for .java code
> to include USE_VERSION switched blocks ? USE_VERSION is defined
> including ../Makefile.config
>
> I think we can/should assume consistency between pgjdbc and PGSRC versions.

Java itsself does not have a preprocessor. I know that the pgjdbc people
use a preprocessor for compatibility between different java and jdbc
releases, but this involves fiddling with .java.in files and additional
build steps.

One disadvantage is that most java syntax highlighting editors do not
know how to cope with those files.

Another problem is that auto-recognition of the pgjdbc version during
the build step is somehow tricky, and I somehow hesitate to add user
configurations for this.

The third consequence is that we will need to distribute two postgis.jar
- one for 7.X and the other one for 8.0. And we have to communicate that
this is not the server version, but the pgjdbc.jar version that we
depend on.

As far as I remember the discussion on the pgjdbc list there's no urgent
pressure to remove the old addDataType method, so I think we could keep
calling the old method for now and live with the compiler warning.

At least until they really remove the method. This may come even after
the planned rework of their custom type system to be JDBC compliant, but
at that time, we nevertheless need to rework our code again.

Thanks,
Markus