[postgis-devel] RE: [postgis-users] Problem with PostGIS 1.0.0 RC1

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Jan 25 03:26:14 PST 2005

Ok, I've made all of TypeFromText take "text".
Before a dump/reload, you might want to try this for
a live upgrade:

-- GeomFromText taking text
update pg_proc set proargtypes = '25'
where proname like '%fromtext' and pronargs = 1;
update pg_proc set proargtypes = '25 23'
where proname like '%fromtext' and pronargs = 2;

-- GeomFromWKB taking bytea
update pg_proc set proargtypes = '17'
where proname like '%fromwkb' and pronargs = 1;
update pg_proc set proargtypes = '17 23'
where proname like '%fromwkb' and pronargs = 2;

17 should be oid of 'bytea'
25 of 'text'
23 of 'integer'

At this point, to finish with consistency, we might want to
change geoemtry::text cast to return EWKT instead of HEXWKB.

So you could do:

	GeomFromWKB(geometry); <-- autocast to bytea
	GeomFromText(geometry); <-- autocast to text (needs (E)WKT to work)

Not that I consider this much important... anyway,
see this thread for discussion:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2004-December/000625.html

--strk;