[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] Change default "canonical form" of spatial objects

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Mar 22 22:17:15 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 07:53:23PM -0300, Gustavo Henrique Sberze Ribas wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Is it possible to change the "canonical form" of spatial
> objects in an uncomplicated way? :)
>   The current form is HEXEWKB for ascii and I'd like it to
> be EWKT. I mean, I'd like the following statements to
> produce the same output:
>
>   - SELECT geom FROM table;
>   - SELECT AsEWKT(geom) FROM table;
>
>   I'm currently running PG 7.4.6 with PostGIS RC2.

The only way to change canonical output form is modifying
the C code. Canonical form is complicated for the sake
of precision.

If using asewkt() is a pain for many people we might
consider adding a function like:
	SELECT postgis_set("ascii_canonical_form", "ewkt");
	SELECT postgis_set("ascii_canonical_form", "wkt");
	SELECT postgis_set("ascii_canonical_form", "hexwkb");

--strk;