[postgis-devel] Backend crash with RC3 and RC4

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed Mar 23 03:05:04 PST 2005

All,

We've been testing RC4, and found that a certain sequence of events
causes a backend crash.  We've checked RC3 and RC2, and RC3 also has the
crash, whereas RC2 does not.  The sequence is as follows:

1. Load data file into SIS (in this case standard MapInfo sample
WORLD.MIF)
2. Use SIS PostGIS exporter to write the data to a new PostGIS table

This step creates a spatial index on the geometry column, and does a
vacuum analyze on the table.

3. Use the SIS PostGIS Wizard to connect to the new table
4. Bang:
"server closed the connection unexpectedly
	before or while processing the request."

The part of 3. that is causing the crash is this request (SIS wants a
default extents of the table for the initial view):

DECLARE C7 NO SCROLL CURSOR FOR select estimated_extent('public',
'world', 'geometry')

If we do 1. then 2. then use psql to run this query instead of SIS, then
we still get the crash.

Bizarrely, after the backend has restarted, the query works fine, even
in the same SIS session.

Any ideas?
Martin