[postgis-devel] Backend crash with RC3 and RC4

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed Mar 23 05:44:06 PST 2005

> Postgresql version ?
> Architecture ?

Quite right.  Shoddy reporting.  Just what I hate about bug reports too.

pgAdmin reports:
PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
(mingw-special)
The PostGIS RC-s are all native Win32 installations from
www.webbased.co.uk/mca

> A test file with load/vacuum/select/bang ?

That's harder.  I've tried with shp2pgsql, with pg_dump/psql and
pg_dump/pg_restore and no luck.  The closest I've got is adding the data
with SIS, then using psql with a SQL file of all of our SQL statements
on the reconnect (attached).  In fact, each time the backend restarts,
the same SQL will crash it from psql.  This is also true if the service
is stopped and restarted.  We have noticed that by adding a single line
(commented out in bang.sql) to close one cursor before opening the
cursor that causes the crash, the crash is avoided.

Is there any mileage is zipping up the entire data folder?

Regards,
Martin