[postgis-devel] Re: PostGIS 1.0 & JDBC locking (WFS)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Mar 24 03:19:58 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:14:52PM -0800, Jody Garnett wrote:
> strk at refractions.net wrote:
> >I continue to think this is far from postgis-specific as the
> >exact same set of functions would work generally for any
> >row-level auth-based multi-session locking.
> >

> Not quite true - we are after a specific locking strategy that is
> specific to features.
> This is why rows are locked by "fid". If we present this as a general
> row-level
> multi-session locking scheme others will be tempted to modify it away
> from something
> that meets our needs. Many of our needs don't make sense from a database
> perspective
> (for example it would be nice as a database to return a "authorization
> token" or failure in
> response to a lock request. Unfortuantly this would not work for wfs
> locking - as the same
> authorization token needs to be used across multiple database from
> different vendors).

Point taken. What is requested here is a WFS-specific locking
mechanism. Current API is not correct then.

First question is: what makes up a feature ?

In a table like:

	gid   serial
	data1 text
	geom1 geometry
	geom2 geometry

Do we have 2 features or only one ? Where is this information kept ?
In the first case, do the features share the data1 attribute ?

What does geoserver use as a Feature id ?