[postgis-devel] loader incompatibility

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Mar 31 23:59:22 PST 2005

Yes, it is again too late for this, but before we
release 1.0.0, should we somehow handle the incompatibilities
between 0.x and 1.x loader ?

The new shp2pgsql will produce HEXEWKB queries.
The old shp2pgsql will produce GeometryFromText(EWKT) queries.

The old shp2pgsql will work against new postgis.
The new shp2pgsql will NOT work against old postgis.

I asked before, in the last mail of a long solo thread:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2004-October/000537.html

My current concern is: is people have both 0.x and 1.x
postgis installed they need both 0.x and 1.x loader too,
while current installation rule would make one override
the other.

The easy way:
	- rename the new loader to shp2lwgeom

The hard way:
	- add a switch to produce 0.x compatible output
	  [would be a merge of the two versions]

Comments ?