[postgis-devel] autoconfiguration for version 1.1.0CVS

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue May 17 09:16:53 PDT 2005

>From an initial work I did on this approach I found myself forced
into pre-costituted rules I didn't like to delegate to the
pgsql source tree. In case we can simply use the *build* of
the shared library (with no install) I agree on using it.

The pgxs stuff is at an initial stage and has been designed for
small extensions. I don't think postgis is such a small extension.

I do see the "wasted" duplication effort of maintaining cross-arch
build scripts in postgis when this is done in postgresql alread
but did not handle to find an elegant solution to the "locking"
problem.

The approach suggested by Mark is the one I liked the most:
use pgsql sources if USE_VERSION<800 or use pgxs otherwise.

Any help in implementing it w/out loosing the flexibility
of deciding *where* to install the shared library is welcome.

Note that Makefile.shlib (pgsql-src) and Makefile.pgxs (pgxs)
are different, and need different threatment. My initial attempt
was at providing a parametrized include in lwgeom/Makefile sourcing
a local Makefile.shlib or the pgxs one. In that case we should be
reproducing the pgxs mechanism locally.

Again. Any contribution is welcome. Just let's try to keep things
simple. My question about which archs are people running postgis
on was bound to knowing how large is the required archset and evaluate
the required effort to support them all. Currently postgis build
has been tested on GNU/Linux, Darwin and Mingw.

About SONAME: can you tell me more about the lack of it ?
What is it ? A variable for Makefile.pgxs ?

--strk;