[postgis-devel] RE: Axis Ordering in GML

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Fri May 20 00:18:47 PDT 2005

> Question for the group. Is the GML below legal?
>
> <gml:Point
> srsName="EPSG:4326"><gml:coordinates>-172.335,18.53916667</gml
> :coordinates></gml:Point>
>
> I have built a GML point that references EPSG:4326 but has
> the easting
> before the northing.

Oh no, not again.  Do you *any* idea what you have just started?

> If I check your WFS 1.0 servers, will I find them returning GML in
> easting/northing order or northing/easting order for
> EPSG:4326? This is
> both a theory and practice problem. In theory, what should
> happen, and
> in practice, what are people doing?

Cadcorp's experience is that the theory is lat/lon, but the practice is
lon/lat.  Another worm squirming out of the can is that the
representation of ordinates in EPSG 4326 is not supposed to be in
decimal degrees.  There are differences of opinion (!) as to whether or
not this applies to data transfer mediums, or just to user-facing
representation.

Let battle commence,
Martin