[postgis-devel] 1.0.5

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Thu Nov 24 10:46:39 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:42:23PM +0100, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Strk,
>
> strk at refractions.net wrote:
>
> > I think you're right about nobody using it, but we might have
> > the other problem: people willing to use it in future versions
> > not able to cope with old and new shp2pgsql revisions.
>
> > I was thinking about something like a SHP2PGSQL_RET1ONSUCCESS
> > The name is ugly, but the point is makeing applications
> > able to define it to get a consistent behaviour between
> > shp2pgql revisions:
> > 	- old revision will not use the variable
> > 	- new revision will use it sticking to old return codes
>
> So they can degrade the new versions to the old, useless behaviour, but
> IMHO this does not give them anything.
>
> Either they rely on the new version with correct, meaningful return
> values, or they ignore the return value altogether.

I'd like to agree on this (less paranoia), but really think
of a GUI for importing shapes.
The gui wants to know wheter something went wrong in - say -
a batch load.

So the GUI must either:
	1. REQUIRE postgis 1.0.5 or above
or:
	2. Try to support all versions

If the option 2. has to be taken the environmental variable
would make this straigthforward. Other ways would be
calling the loader onces with no args and parse the output
(is RCSID there ? Is it above 1.0.5 [ not easy to tell ])

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for open standards
  X     No HTML/RTF in email