[postgis-devel] installation paths from pg_config

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Jan 17 07:01:50 PST 2006

I've been working on a better handling of installation
paths as extracted by pg_config --configure parsing.

(1)
What you specify in pgsql ./configure is
further modified by pgsql Makefile.global and I
implemented the same modification algorithm (add 'postgres'
if neither 'pgsql' nor 'postgres' is found in existing path)
in postgis' ./configure script.

(2)
The default prefix for pgsql installation is /usr/local/pgsql
since version 7.2 - we were using /usr/local instead.

Now it's test time. I've tested on my setups
and also fiddled a bit with pgsql --with-docdir and
--with-datadir switches, but I'd be interested in
testing on other installation layouts and most
importantly on other shell implementations.

Can you help ?
The test would just be:
	1. getting postgis HEAD
	2. ./autogen.sh
	3. ./configure --with-pgsql=<whatever>
	4. check installation PATHS correctness

If you have more then a PostgreSQL you can repeat
steps 3. and 4. for each of them. It is also possible
to only configure a PostgreSQL source tree for the
sake of testing, then specify
--with-pgsql=PGSQL_SRC/src/bin/pg_config/pg_config
to see what would happen in what case.

Thanks a lot.

--strk;

 /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ /    Respect for low technology.
  X     Keep e-mail messages readable by any computer system.
 / \    Keep it ASCII.