[postgis-devel] ForceRHR doesn't?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sat Mar 11 22:22:17 PST 2006

Hunting through Google, it looks like the preponderance of entries
referring to 3D graphics use RHR to mean anti-clockwise (as a way of
defining which direction the surface normal of a polygon is).

There are a small number of entries on GIS data capture (a lot of
them from BC, but I also found one from Australia) indicating that
RHR means "object on right of linestring defined in direction of
capture" (clockwise).

So I think in a GIS data context I am correct. I think. (It seems to
be a common issue for capturing bounded areas in GIS software that is
oriented primarily to linear features, like CAD programs.)

P.