[postgis-devel] postgis-1.1.2: a few improvements

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Mon May 22 05:29:18 PDT 2006

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 02:37:47AM +0300, alex bodnaru wrote:

> hi friends,
>
> i have included the postgis topology functionality in the debian postgis
> package, and i'd like to add a few suggestions:
>
> 1. for files in topology/test, please apply the attached patches.
>    it's about a few missed points in the makefile, and with working in
> an environment without oids.

Applied, thanks.

> 2. the topology test fails under postgresql-7.4 wich refuses to have
> composite types as fields.
>
> psql:load_topology.sql:214: ERROR:  column "feature" has composite type
> topology.topogeometry
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "addtopogeometrycolumn" line 91 at execute
> statement
>
> it would be possible to save topogeometries as records in a table,
> related 1:1 to the one that currently caries the extra column. else,
> postgresql 7.4 installations should not receive topology.sql.

I'd rather use a custom datatype, to be developed in C.
We do want to threat TopoGeometries as real types, anyway.

> 3. PGFELIBS, (comming from pg_config --libs) holds all the libs used
> when building postgresql. i have substituted $(PGFELIBS) with -lpq (this
> exist only in loader/Makefile, for building pgsql2shp), and this seems
> to work as well.

We added full front-end libs as a workaround:

        * configure.in (1.47): Added pg_config --libs to PGFELIBS as a
          workaround for systems that doesn't automatically detect
          dependencies

...mmm.. now I can't remember which system it was, but I had
a bug report and this fixed it.