[postgis-devel] A Suggestion - Making the Repositories Available via Rsync or CVSync

Joel Miller joelwmiller at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 4 15:29:35 PDT 2006

I've looked at using svnsync, but it has so much overhead just to give
me a local repository that I can't twiddle locally with if I ever want
to sync it again.

That's one reason I still like cvs: Projects can create a branch named
"local" or something similar that no one ever makes commits to in the
master repository, then developers with their local copies of the
repositories can check in their not-ready-for-prime-time changes under
the "local" branch. They don't have to choose between giving up the
ability to sync or losing their changes the next time they sync. From
what I've read about svn, it can't do that yet.

Besides, rsync is already up and running on the very server that the
repository is on (svn.refractions.net), it would just be a matter of
updating the rsync configuration file to add rsync-modules that make the
directories and files of the repositories available.

Joel