[postgis-devel] Generating the README files out of the man pages

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Oct 6 02:42:59 PDT 2006

(Intentional full-quote to preserve context for pginstaller folks)

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:
On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 11:04:12AM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:
>> The README.shp2pgsql and README.pgsql2shp are extremely outdated.
>> The man pages seem to be current. I plan to merge the information
>> that's only in the READMEs (mainly the one-liner compilation
>> instructions) into the manpages, and then generate the README files
>> out of the manpages.
>>
>> Having the READMEs generated from the manpages will help to keep
>> them in sync, as it's one place less to care for.
>>
>> As the compilation instructions are part of the README, I'd like to
>> keep the files in SVN, and use a makefile rule that's not called by
>> default to regenerate them.
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>
> What about completely drop the README.loader/dumper ?

I thought about that, too.

But I was afraid that the packagers for non-unix platforms (currently
only Windows, AFAICS) need some alternative to the manpages, as man is
not common on Windows.

The main PostGIS documentation is extremely non-verbose wr/t loader and
dumper, and changing that will re-introduce the keep-in-sync problems.

I CC this message to the pginstaller-devel people, to get their opinion
about it.

Dear win32-folks, do you have any means to generate the Readme files (or
windows help files or whatever you deliver with the win32 installer)
from the manpages in postgis/doc/man?

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org