[postgis-devel] libpq 7.2 support

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Oct 20 02:36:26 PDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 03:49:39PM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:

> Maybe we should wait for the next debian release to get stable, as they
> currently still carry PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2woody8 in their "oldstable"
> release, which is likely to be replaced by "sarge", should "etch" ever
> get stable eventually. :-)
>
> In my eyes, it won't hurt to have a lose agreement on those life cycle
> issues, and document it, so our users have a better ground for decisions
> about upgrades.

I think as a first rule we should keep supporting 'debian stable'.
Beside that every drop of support should be justified by a big
amount of maintainance effort. For example, if we add *new* feature
that would be a pain to make compatible back to the oldest pgsql
version, what we can do is simply *not* providing the new functionality
for the *old* DBMS, documenting it. In this way users will have a choice
of either upgrade their DBMS or do w/out the new feature.
This is the case for topology, for example, that requires schemas.