[postgis-devel] Re: PostGIS datastore creation

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 11:09:51 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:13 -0700, Chris Hodgson wrote:
> Greg and Mark, while I think your ideas certainly have merit, I don't
> think they address the main problem - the FDO client needs to be able to
> create a new database using ONLY the SQL connection to the server. The
> FDO client knows nothing of the Platform, OS, or even version of postgis
> that is installed on the server. We can't even use a standard postgis
> stored procedure on the postgres side because if we don't have a spatial
> database yet, none of the postgis stored procedures would be installed.

Hi Chris,

The impression I got from Paul's email was that the main issue was how
to create the template database as part of the install process rather
than how the FDO client can create a new database. AFAIK it's already
possible to create a database from a template using just an SQL
connection by using something like "CREATE DATABASE gisdb
TEMPLATE=template_postgis". Then again, it may be that I've
misunderstood something since I've never used FDO?

Kind regards,

Mark.