[postgis-devel] Re: [Bizgres-general] Bizgres MPP and PostGIS

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon Sep 25 07:46:16 PDT 2006

Hi, Luke,

Luke Lonergan wrote:

>>> We are interested in supporting PostGIS with MPP because the operations it
>>> performs would likely benefit greatly from the parallelism of the MPP
>>> kernel.
>> However, most of the PostGIS code is not even thread safe from my
>> knowledge, and far from explicitly parallelized.
> No need for it to be thread safe, we use processes.

Ah, that's a big advantage from that (limited) point of view, all
backend extensions should work fine in an MPP environment.

However, to be parallelizable, at least aggregates will need special
support, to merge the distributed states, I presume.

Other than that, I cannot see any _technical_ reason for PostGIS to fail
in an MPP environment.

> Seems like the way to proceed might be this:
>
> - One of us finds someone who is interested
> - We jointly handle the customer and work out the business relationship
> accordingly

Sounds reasonable. However, as our business model mainly is ASP, we're
more likely to be the one who is interested than to find one, but both
not in the very near future. :-)

As I wrote in my very first mail regarding this thread, the question was
more out of curiosity. Our workloads are currently mostly OLTP, and
those one dealing with large datasets are all pre-deployment data
preparation, so not exactly time critical.

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org