[postgis-devel] postgis_proc_upgrade.pl dropping aggregates

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Aug 22 05:55:33 PDT 2007

This is actually a continuation of the thread on Postgis users about
Collect vs. ST_Collect GeomUnion vs ST_GeomUnion, but thought it would
be better dealt with in this group.

Looking at the
http://svn.refractions.net/postgis/trunk/utils/postgis_proc_upgrade.pl

Commented out section on aggregate functions.  I see we are doing a

DROP AGGREGATE $aggname($basetype);\n

I was going to change to do

DROP AGGREGATE IF EXISTS $aggname($basetype);\n

But I'm not quite sure when IF EXISTS was introduced into Postgresql.
Does anyone have an idea when that was introduced and if we did change
the above to something like that if it would pose problems elsewhere.

I guess we would still have the problem if someone is using the
aggregate functions in a view or something like that it would fail a
drop.  Haven't quite figured out a workaround for that so its still not
as nice as a CREATE OR REPLACE would be.

Thanks,
Regina