[postgis-devel] RE: Geotools, PostGis and Hibernate

karel karel at cadrie.com
Wed Aug 29 10:00:16 PDT 2007

Hi Erik,

On 29 Aug 2007, at 16:53, VanIngen, Erik (ESTG) wrote:

> Why did you decide to abondon Hibernate DataStore? Was this because
> you do not use Geotools anymore? Any information is welcome to us,
> we are in the starting phase of the project.

We still use GeoTools but we don't work with GeoServer. When we
needed to write features to the database we found that it was easier
to use Hibernate Spatial directly. In our architecture we now have a
LayerModel that retrieves and persists data. The LayerModel can
retrieve objects either through a GeoTools datasource, or through
Hibernate. The first we use for read-only data, and the second for
read-write data and/or complex relational object models. Of course,
if you use GeoServer you don't have the choice and have to implement
a DataStore.

We also felt that it is an advantage to be able to work with POJO's
without needing special classes or interfaces such as Feature simply
because some business object is Geometry-valued.

Regards,

Karel Maesen