[postgis-devel] Problem to load raster data in PostGIS

Khalid kmsaif at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 12:01:20 PST 2007

Hi,

 I am a student and is working on a project which will use MapServer
and PostGIS. I have data in vector format as ESRI compatible shapefiles. My
task is to load data into PostGIS as raster format and then to perform
overlay analysis and display map  in web browser through mapserver (on
windows platform).

I am newbie to PostGIS and is trying to load data into PostGIS and the
application I am going to develop is web interface to do Conservation
Analysis/Land Assessment Analysis which will use wegihted overlay technique
(See details for weighted overlay anlysis at
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=weighted_overlay)
.It will let user to choose layers they want to include in model. Then user
will give weightage to each layer according to its pripority (which land has
more priority to be conserveed) and then can rank features in those layers
according to its importance( e.g. If Layer is of Land Use, then will
determine which features in landuse are much important e.g. Agriculture,
Forage etc). Then model will take all parameters and will process the
information and will show the results back into the browser (in the form of
map/image). All this data will be stored in PostGIS database and should be
in raster format as Model will use weighted overlay analysis technique which
uses raster data.

Now the porblem is, how to store raster data in PostGIS/Postgres SQL. There
are multiple ideas I am working on right now

1. Can we store actually raster data direcly in PostgreSQL or PostGIS or we
should strore it in outside of PostGIS and have some sort of reference to
PostGIS with other data.
2. Can we actually use PGCHIP GDAL driver (new implementation of raster in
PostGIS). For reference please visit,  http://simon.benjamin.free.fr/pgchip/
 ?
3. Can we use PGRaster SQL Interface to store raster data (
http://postgis.com/support/wiki/index.php?PgRasterSqlInterface). I tried to
do it but it did not work. So just wondering if somebody has actually used
it to store raster data. If so, then how?

If somebody has used some solution to store raster data in PostGIS, please
let me know. If this is not possible at all, then may suggest some
alternative.
Here I want to mention that I have data in the form of ESRI shapefiles
(mostly vector format). I tried to use gdal_rasterize but it gave me error
that "The procedure entry point OGRCleanupALL could not be located in the
dynamic link library gdal13.dll". I tried to fix it and tried to re-install
GDAL as well but I got same message.

Regards,

Khalid