[postgis-devel] PostGIS release

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Tue Jul 10 18:15:18 PDT 2007

* strk (strk at keybit.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 04:46:19PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> > What's the story w/ extra/debian? Is it old and superannuated? I don't
> > want to take it out and then have someone run screaming to me about it...
>
> I added it as contributed by alex bodnaru.
> Supposedly, it contains stuff to produce the .deb.

It was there to produce a .deb, sure, but the packages for PostGIS in
Debian aren't produces using it...  In general we discourage having the
debian dir in upstream source, it just makes for confusion since it's
very common for there to be multiple Debian releases for one upstream
release (for example, we've had 2 for 1.2.1 so far).

> If debian guys have their own and refractions have other tools for producing .debs
> there should be no problem dropping that dir.

If refractions wants to build debs for PostGIS, I'd *strongly* encourage
using the Debian build system I wrote for it, and which is used for the
debs which go into Debian.  Honestly, I think it'd be better to either
pull the debs which go into Debian down or to just link to the PostGIS
package pages:

stable: http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/postgis

unstable: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/postgis

	Thanks,