[postgis-devel] Xing Lin's SoC project (raster support)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Jul 11 12:39:04 PDT 2007

I'm a little worried at the quantity of this document that is copied
verbatim from the Oracle Georaster documentation.  I mean, are we just
cribbing their whole design directly?  The Oracle model is pretty, but
it breaks up the rasters into an internal relational model, which pretty
much requires some sort of toolset for people to load/unload data.

Second, the documentation stops with the model, it provides no
functions, or even hint of what functions will be done first. Providing
objects and no functions, or no data loader, is going to be a pure Waste
of Time. I know he's not going to have time to copy the complete set of
Georaster functions from Oracle, so an idea of what functions he plans
to do first is pretty important.

PostGIS 0.1 had the types, it had input/output methods, and it had index
bindings.  If this implementation does not have a way of getting data in
and out, it's not going to be worth the time putting it together.

P.