[postgis-devel] Xing Lin's SoC project (raster support)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Jul 11 22:07:39 PDT 2007

Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but if Oracle saw it
that way, they probably wouldn't have patented the GeoRaster model.
Much of the PDF presented comes right out of here:

http://oraclesvca2.oracle.com/docs/cd/B12037_01/appdev.101/b10827/
geor_intro.htm#CHDDIDAF

And the model itself is patented:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=C-1-AAAAEBAJ&dq=georaster

There's no way PostGIS could accept a raster design on the basis of
this submission, an original or at least unencumbered approach is
required.

P.