[postgis-devel] Moving towards a 1.2.2 release?

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Jun 1 11:30:23 PDT 2007

* Mark Cave-Ayland (mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk) wrote:
> Well last time the subject came up, Paul and I both thought that a
> simple shell script should do the trick to install all the PostGIS
> definitions into a "template_postgis" database that can be run after
> "make install" (the windows version already does this). This is so FDO
> providers can create data sources using a simple CREATE DATABASE
> command, which I think will be a useful feature - but the existing code

I agree.  Indeed, from a packaging standpoint it's my view it should
just be an extra script stuck in /usr/share/postgis or even
/usr/share/doc/postgis.  It could then be mentioned in a README as
something admins can use if they want to.  I've got no interest trying to
muck with a PG database at package install time because there's no
guarentee PG is available, that the user would want another database,
that the use would want PostGIS installed into any particular database,
or even that the PG instance they want to use PostGIS with is the default
one.

> is just too Debian-ized for the rest of the world, trying to run dpkg
> for example...

Gah, that's terrible...  I'm rather disappointed that it was committed
w/o a closer review and understanding of it... :/

> > Also, the 'extras/debian' directory should be removed, it's horribly
> > outdated, wrong and obsolete.
>
> Okay... does anyone else have any comments on whether they really want
> to keep this?

Just so no one gets confused, Debian has their own SVN repository where
the actual debian/ directory for PostGIS is maintained (along with any
other modifications from the original tarball) and that is what is used
for packages uploaded to the main Debian archive.

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-grass/packages/postgis/?rev=0&sc=0

For the curious.

	Thanks,

		Stephen