[postgis-devel] OSGeo "Google Summer of Code" Mentors

Eduin Carrillo yecarrillo at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 10:15:35 PDT 2007

I'm looking for a sponsor for "Materialized Views with Geometric Support". If some guy on the list would be interest in be mentor for this proposal, please contact me.

PostGIS geometry processing functions consume machine's CPU resources. This behavior can be avoided creating 'snapshots' of data based on views definitions, making queries more light for clients. This is specially useful for web clients. Jonathan Gardner (http://www.jonathangardner.net/PostgreSQL/materialized_views/matviews.html) have aboard this problem with the concept of 'Materialized Views'. These functions may be improved to support PostGIS functionality when creating, refreshing or deleting views.

Eduin Yezid Carrillo Vega