[postgis-devel] PATCH: Test PostgreSQL 8.3 patch for PostGIS

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon May 21 09:44:41 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

Well here it is - I finally have a patch against SVN HEAD that passes
all regression tests. Unfortunately, due to way in which many parts of
PostGIS referred to the varlena header directly to find the size of a
PG_LWGEOM, it is an horrendously invasive patch. And I may not have
caught all the places required, although the regression tests really
helped a lot.

The change that probably needs the most explaining is the introduction
of a SERIALIZED_LWGEOM structure to hold the results of the geometry
parser; this is because the parser needs to return the size of the
serialized LWGEOM separately, instead of trying to use it as a varlena
header and poking it into PG_LWGEOM directly.

Since it's quite an invasive patch, I'll wait for some testing and
feedback before committing. The only missing part is version detection,
including the use of some kind of wrapper to map SET_VARSIZE(..) back to
VARATT_SIZEP, and possibly VARDATA back to VARATT_DATA for older
versions of PostgreSQL. However, I'd like to get some testing on other
platforms using PostgreSQL 8.3 to make sure I'm on the right track
first.

ATB,

Mark.

--