[postgis-devel] State of the postgis hibernate union?

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue Oct 9 09:56:00 PDT 2007

> (3) Geoserver/HibernateSpatial/Postgis
> We will starting the investigation on this soon. No results yet. Of course
> the nicest and cleanest solution. My idea is that HibernateSpatial is doing a
> very good job but it is very recent software and not yet used in many
> systems. And I think they might be the first with a proper implementation.

I don't know how you are going to skip geotools for this approach?
Presumably you will still need a datastore. This won't change the
problem you discovered in (2) - all this is, is a standard
implementation of part of what you would need to do for (2) ie.
postgis-enable hibernate.

> http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=118
> Not investigated, to me seems less clean than HibernateSpatial because they
> reverse engineered from the database instead of starting from the domain
> model(JTS)

Again, this is exactly what you would have to do for (2), the choice of
reverse-engineering vs. annotations is really moot once you have decided
on your model - it's just a question of whether you prefer to write SQL
or Java, and then generate the other. In truth, we reverse engineered
primarily because our data model is being accessed by other software
than just hibernate, so it had to be exactly the way it was. We had
already designed it with specific goals in mind, including high
performance for our use cases, and we just wanted to use hibernate to
access it. So reverse engineering was a very effective way to go.

Chris