[postgis-devel] Is it possible to get rid of platform specific lwpostgis.sql files?

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Sep 7 10:41:31 PDT 2007

* Paul Ramsey (pramsey at refractions.net) wrote:
> Agreed, in fact I am thinking we should drop < 8 support soon.

Agreed.  I'm also of the opinion that we should provide a way to make
use of the new functionality likely to be in 8.3 to specify the
search_path for the postgis functions.  This would allow us to have a
'postgis' schema for the functions instead of having them clutter up the
public schema.  Similairly for the user typmod improvements, I'd much
rather have geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys in a 'postgis' schema
(assuming we can't make them go away, which it seems unlikely we'll be
able to do since the typmod size isn't large enough to accomedate the
parameters which go into geometry_columns).

I understand there's going to be some heartache over that wrt backwards
compatibility.  Perhaps it would have been better phrased as 'at least
not make it difficult for people to do if they want to'.  It will depend
on what syntax is settled upon for 8.3 though, of course.  I'm guessing
it'll be part of the CREATE FUNCTION syntax (that makes the most sense
to me anyway) and that'd mean we'd need a way to generate that syntax
for lwpostgis.sql, for those who desire it.  Of course, older versions
of PG would barf on it, so we'd have to consider that as well.

		Just some thoughts,

			Stephen