re[postgis-devel] sponsibility of main sorurce files

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 01:45:56 PDT 2008

On Saturday 05 April 2008 15:47:37 Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Sorry, no, there isn't a developer's guide, it's learn-by-reading.
>
> Good catch, it appears that lwgeom.h is an orphan and all the
> declarative work is done in liblwgeom.h
>
> That's what grep tells me, anyways:
>
> grep "lwgeom\.h" *.h *.c | grep -v lib

I think this goes back to when strk built a clear level of abstraction between
the geometry-handling functions and the PostgreSQL wrappers. The idea was
that other applications could link to the lwgeom library separately to access
some PostGIS functionality even if they didn't want to use the
PostgreSQL-specific parts.

To the best of my knowledge, there were no applications written to make use of
the library (and I suspect that there may be some blurring between the
lines), but is this something we would like to maintain?

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland