[postgis-devel] PostGIS Development Roadmap

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Apr 17 04:41:16 PDT 2008

> Stripping out dead code

> If we are happy to require PostgreSQL >= 8.1 for future versions then
> there is a lot of dead code that can be removed, specifically with
> regard to statistics / GiST indexes. It would help tidy up the code
base
> a lot :)

Do we know how many people are still using 8.0?  Maybe we can do a poll
of some sort either via the PostGIS newsgroup or the PostgreSQL website
(if we can get away with that).  I think the PostGIS newsgroup has
fairly high-end users so may not be a good measure - although if the
number is high on that, then we definitely have issues.

I wouldn't mind dumping pre 8.0 installs as I think you've got way too
many issues if you are running below 8.0 that you probably wouldn't be
considering using PostGIS anyway and you would get a bad impression of
it if you were running in that environment.

8.1 seems cutting it close as it seems a lot of ISPs I've dealt with
seem to only support 8.0.  Then again if you are only running 8.0 and
relying on a shared box, you have other unsurmounting issues anyway.  As
long as we keep the old versions available and patched as needed its
probably a non-issue.

> So... there is a lot of work on this list which we really need to
think
> about doing. Since the changes are quite involved, I am leaning
towards
> working in a separate branch and then switching it to HEAD when
> something actually works for some more testing.
+1

Thanks,
Regina