[postgis-devel] PostGIS Development Roadmap

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 05:04:28 PDT 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Do we know how many people are still using 8.0?  Maybe we can do a poll
> of some sort either via the PostGIS newsgroup or the PostgreSQL website
> (if we can get away with that).  I think the PostGIS newsgroup has
> fairly high-end users so may not be a good measure - although if the
> number is high on that, then we definitely have issues.

I think the last time this came up was here:
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-September/016977.html.
And as far as I can tell, there wasn't much there in the way of objections.

There are also some very good technical reasons to be running PostgreSQL
 >= 8.2 under Win32 which Magnus can probably comment upon :)

> I wouldn't mind dumping pre 8.0 installs as I think you've got way too
> many issues if you are running below 8.0 that you probably wouldn't be
> considering using PostGIS anyway and you would get a bad impression of
> it if you were running in that environment.
>
> 8.1 seems cutting it close as it seems a lot of ISPs I've dealt with
> seem to only support 8.0.  Then again if you are only running 8.0 and
> relying on a shared box, you have other unsurmounting issues anyway.  As
> long as we keep the old versions available and patched as needed its
> probably a non-issue.

Oh sure. We'd at least keep the 1.3 branch going for older users, but we
would of course encourage new applications to be developed on the latest
version.

ATB,

Mark.

--