[postgis-devel] Updated SVN documentation

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 09:09:26 PDT 2008

Hi folks (& Regina),

I've had a look at the new documentation commits for the installation
section of the SVN trunk manual, and I'd like to ask for them to be
reverted. The main reason for this is that I don't think the original
source of instructions is particularly good at all :(

Here are the list of things I've noticed so far:

i) The section at the top which describes versions of things being used

- gcc, pg_config and geos_config are now automatically detected by
configure (if alternative pg_config/geos_configs are specified, the
complete path to the version being used is output to the console)

- "ldconfig -v | grep iconv" doesn't help on systems like mine where
iconv is built into libc

- flex & bison are only needed if you intend to alter the lexer/parser
since we commit the generated versions into SVN, so normal users do not
need to worry about this

ii) Hard-coded tarball URLs with version numbers

- The links to the PROJ and GEOS libraries are now hard-coded, with
version numbers. What would happen if the download URLs changed? Plus if
people were to download fixed versions by copying and pasting from the
instructions, they could miss updates for bugs as the packaged
documentation will be out of date

- Having the tarballs listed like this will make people think that they
need to compile extra libraries by hand - surely we should be
encouraging people to use their native package system first, and only
requiring compilation if these versions are too old?

iii) configure is hidden

- The configure step doesn't particularly clear anymore, at least not to
my eyes

iv) autogen.sh

- There are references to autogen.sh in the instructions. This is only
required for building from SVN trunk, since configure is generated as
part of the tarball release. And I think autogen.sh is removed from the
release tarballs too.

v) sudo

- I don't think the use of sudo makes things any clearer for beginners
since it isn't installed on all systems by default. For example, it's
not on any of my Fedora default virtual installs, or my normal desktop
workstation (I wonder if these instructions were written for Ubuntu?). I
think it would end up confusing people even more, rather than helping
them...

ATB,

Mark.

--